Sunday 22 May 2011

Meeting Our Daughter for the First Time

.
Well day two was great.  I slept okay but was awoken by the Muslim chants, singing, yelling and by all of the roosters.  I decided to walk in the morning.  I walked to Meskal Square.  It’s a huge square with sort of an amphitheater around 3 sides and the road on the other.  There were hundreds of people playing soccer on the gravel pitch, quite a sight to see.  Lots of joy around.  Almost every little boy that walked by with their mother wanted to shake my hand or high five me.  I felt like a rock star.  It rained most of my walk but I didn't really get cold or wet.  I stopped at a cafe called Khalidi's I think but really it was Starbuck with some hot food selections.  Their menu, decor, music and logo are strangely similar to Starbucks.
I had made arrangements with Germacho to b ring me to the orphanage.  It is in a relatively wealthy neighborhood but the side roads we wouldn't even drive a 4 x 4 on.  There I met the director Elizabeth, a fantastic caring woman who many of the children call mama.  Very shortly after i got there she brought me to the baby room and I saw Selam for the first time.  My eyes were pretty wet as they are now thinking of her.  She is so small but beautiful.  Almost right away she gave me a small smile and held my fingers.  When I pulled away she reached for my arm and put her hand on it.  I showed her a picture of her Mommy and new big sister Josina.  I am so proud of them and Selam.  The nanny's love these children so much and they just move around the room holding the baby's.  I think there were 11 or twelve in a room a little smaller than my own bedroom.  But it was so clean, no poopy smell anywhere.  I was toured around to meet all of the other children.  One little toddler boy Eyob is so cute and once he warmed up to me he wanted me to play with him and his train.
The orphanage is short of many supplies so today, Monday, we are going shopping for formula, medicine, sugar etc.  I was then taken to a room for a coffee ceremony.  One young girl on staff was roasting the green coffee been on a small charcoal fuel stove.  She served us slightly sweetened popcorn, two types of cold pancake; one of them was cooked with a lot of spice.  It was fantastic.  The coffee was the freshest you can ever have.  Roasted and ground minutes before serving, try that Tim Hortons!  A little boy came into the ceremony and asked in Amharic to Elizabeth if they could sing for me.  About 20 kids of all ages came in and sang three praise songs for me with actions and huge smiles.  It was so touching.  Apparently this is the first time they have done this.  I hope they do this for other people in the future.
I feel quite safe here walking out on the streets, even at night.  I have not seen an angry or upset person since I have been here.  I don't think we can say that in Canada. 

5 comments:

  1. It sounds beautiful Sid, what an amazing adventure you are on. I had a little tear when you talked of showing Selam the picture of Tammy and Josina. Thinking of you all. Kirstyx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wonderful. I wonder if the little toddler is our Eyob. We get to meet him in a couple of weeks. So excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this made me cry Sid, just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, Sid. You made it all that much more real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! So glad you got to see your baby girl and she smiled for you. It sounds like such an amazing experience!!!
    Best of luck at court tomorrow!!!!

    Claire

    ReplyDelete