Monday 23 May 2011

The day before Court

Today, Monday, has been the most amazing day.  Elizabeth, the director of Abanzer, picked me up at 10:00 AM, and off to a market that gives good prices.  With some of you donations we bought:

  • Formula,
  • Tomato sauce
  • quick oats
  • marmalade
  • rice
  • soup stock
  • wipes
  • peanut butter
  • toilet paper
  • yeast
  • baking powder
They are so thankful, they only had a couple of days left of formula and no money.  They were trying to buy on credit, now they can go about a month.  On our way back from the market we stopped at the original facility of the orphanage, Selam first stayed there.  It is still an orphanage but from another group. When we were unloading supplies staff and some children helped unload. 
I then went into the classroom where the children thank us all for the food.  Again they sang for me.  One girl about 10-11 sang Fishers of men in English for me.  Then as a group, like FFCA, they recited the English alphabet...A as in  apple B as in.....  Then they listed the parts of the body.  Finally they counted to 100.  Please note that 60 is pronounced SIXITY!
At this point Selam was out getting official send off pictures as tomorrow might be her last day at Abanezer.  When she came back she was so happy.  Lots of smiles and she kept grabbing my nose, good grip.  Then she would get a handful of my cheeks and pinch...ouch! Then I was fed lunch: Shiro Wat and scrambled eggs with hot peppers and eggs with Berberie (hot curry like spices). We then had another coffee ceremony, yummy.  One more visit with Selam before I left.  She put my finger in her mouth and she cut her first tooth today!
When I left I got many thankful hugs mixed with tears of joy from the staff, that i am passing on to you, because they do not have to worry about food for awhile.
I diarized this while at an outdoor cafe.  the guy sitting across from me is well dressed in a suit and is a dead ringer for Obama!  I bought a bottle of water and was charged 1.50 birr...about 9 cents.  Please remember to tip this people when you are here.

Please pray that court goes well tomorrow.  I will be picked up at 9:00 AM (midnight Alberta time)

2 comments:

  1. I understand you saw my daughter, Iftu,too! I will be landing May 28th with my first Ethio-babe, Malia, now 4.
    We're also staying at Afro-Land, for at least the first week.
    Hope everything continues to go well!!
    Luci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sid, I thought MoT pays some money to Abenezer in exchange for contracting with them. Do they not use this to purchase formula for the babies and other necessities? The fact that they are running out of food for the infants scares me immensely. Should we be bringing this up to MoT?

    Claire

    ReplyDelete