Saturday 21 May 2011

First day in Addis

I landed in Addis at 6:30 AM but only got 2-3 hours sleep on the plane.  Asefa picked me up and was at the hotel by 7:00.  My rom was not available until noon so they let me use a room to shower and shave, I was pretty rank.  They then made me breakfast while I waited for the bank to open.  At the bank they confiscated my camera while there.  Then time to explore.  Stopped at the Parisienne Cafe for a coffee (expresso) and a Mirinda (orange pop). Total was 11 Birr, about $0.80. Next time to buy a local SIM card for $4.00.  The streets are just packed with people, lots of beggars, very sad. All along the main streets are tiny shacks that have all sorts of stores in them,  People take pride in them, even sweeping the street in the front.  The women are dressed immaculately.

Note to all, cars will not stop or slow down for pedestrians.  Be very careful.  Has pizza and beer for lunch but just about fell asleep on the table. 4 hours sleep in two days.  So I went back to the hotel for a power nap.  I am having wireless issues in my room but not the lobby.  Facebook has locked me out for some reason.  I just Skyped Tammy, quite a challenge with the 8 second delay in audio and video. 

The best news is that I get to meet selam tomorrow.  They are picking me at 2:00 PM.  Time to find a place for dinner now, just about 8:00 PM.

3 comments:

  1. I'm soooooo looking forward to hearing about your visit to see Selam!!--Say "HI" to Job from me (Eyob)!!--If you are thinking straight tomorrow when you go to the Orphanage ask them what they need-we are hoping to bring a few things from home for Abenezer!---wishing you a great night sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!! I am so glad things are going well and I am so excited for you. I can only imagine how anxious you must be and excited. I am sure she is just beautiful and can't wait to find out more about her. Take care, enjoy every moment and hug your little girl so....tight when you see her, she will be ALL YOURS!!! I am very happy for Tammy, Josina and You!!

    Take Care Friend,

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool! I am assuming you got your camera back, right? Did you have it out, and that's why they took it? I have heard you can't take photos of government buildings, so maybe that's why?

    I have forgotten...where are you staying? What do you think of it?

    So excited for you to meet your little one tomorrow. Hope you can get some rest!

    Claire

    ReplyDelete