Tuesday 24 May 2011

Can you spell P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E

This is the end of a very long day.  While waiting to go to court this morning, Neil, Laura and myself were commenting that this is not over yet and to expect the unexpected.  We got to court and were promptly told that the judge was staying home with a sick baby (can't get angry about that).  FRUSTRATING!!!!  Yeah that made me cry a bit again.  Maybe tomorrow because the judge has twice as many file will go more quickly through each....wishful thinking.

After I got back to the hotel I call my driver and friend Marcos to pick me up.  We first went to the Mercato, largest market in Africa with over 8000 vendors and as I found out 8 million customers and parking for 18 vehicles.  So I said lets skip it and go elsewhere.  Bought 2 kilos of fine Ethiopian coffee beans for about $2.50, I wish I could take more.  We also had a coffee there, best coffee in the world.  Next up was the Piazia (?) and actually ran into Elizabeth the director of the orphanage.  She is confident and praying that court will pass tomorrow. Last I went shopping at the vendors around the Post Office.  Much better and more managalbe to shop.  Highly recommended to future travels but hire a driver for the day.  If you stay to the AfroLand Guest House ask for Marcos, he lives 3 meters away and he will negotiate for you to make sure that they don't rip you off.  Don't be too afraid of the 1978 Datsun 1210 with one original tire, front seat belt doesn't work and to start it he puts two wire together.  he is a good driver and you would be lucky to drive faster than 25 km/h.  For about 5 hours with me he charged 400 birr, about $22.00 and he saved me at least that much in haggling and advice.  I decided to take him out for pizza for dinner at Italian Pizzaria, very good  food and fairly cheap.

Good restaurants on Meskal Flower and Bole that I have been to are
Back yard: Western food and music
Jewel of India towards Bole a little pricey for Addis but very good Indian food
Italian Pizzeria across street from Afroland: very nice space, good food, better pizza than Bruno's about same price.
la Parissienne Cafe almost at Bole, very nice outdoor patio, excellent coffee and croissants, good for breakfast
Pearl cafe: across street good coffee and cakes.  very good service.
Shebasha:  Check if they have music at the night you want.  very good Ethiopian food.  Try theTej - honey wine - live singers and dancers, quite noisy but recommended.

In the coming days I will blog about other musts and avoids.  Also about reasonable prices. If I am at the orphanage tomorrow I ask about what they need for donations.  Food purchase is always needed.

Please let me sleep, the judge show up and have a favorable judgement.  I need to party!

No comments:

Post a Comment