Friday 8 July 2011

Tough night

Well we only had a few hours sleep thanks to Sophie.  It is so difficult to admit especially after all the years of praying and waiting but I guess its like having any other kid.  Please go the #$%# to sleep.  We think she is probably a bit scared when she stirs in the night and is someplace unfamiliar.  No amount of rocking could get her back to sleep.  Very frustrating.  On top of it all Tammy has some serious sinus issues right now too.  At about 6:00 AM we gave up, we'd been up since 4:00 AM.  I took a shower and we packed up Sophie in the carrier and at 6:40 I was off for a walk.  Tammy stayed back to get some rest/sleep.  We walked with Sophie strapped to my chest for about 2km to Kaldi's, the Starbucks ripoff, for a coffee and some french toast.  I was the first customer there. Then we had to go to a market to get formula.

I get a lot of different reactions on the street when carrying Sophie.  In Ethiopia doing this is woman's work so the young hang abouts on the street, I am sure are mocking me.  I get a little negative sneers from the lower educated type people. I guess that I will also get negative looks and comments back home too so this will be good training.  This morning was also very good and encouraging.  I was walking past the Dembel mall and felt someone looking at us.  There was a 30 something, well dressed couple who stopped entering the building just to look at us pass by.  I looked back and they both had huge smiles, nodding with approval and she gave us two thumbs up.  It brought tears to my eyes. Later a company bus bring people to work passed and the occupants were smiling, waving, giving thumbs up and even applauding us.  Even here you get both horrible and great responses.  I actually just prefer to walk down the road without any reaction.

This afternoon Solomon will take us out shopping, to Entoto Mountain and later for a traditional dinner.

Claire, you should ask for this.  Also the MoT does not keep you occupied.  We can give you pointers on what to do and how to get around.  Maybe when we get back we can get on the phone with you.  we have a great driver, Marcos,  he will take you anywhere and he usually does not charge enough.

I think we are feeling a little guilty being upset about the lack of sleep and being frustrated because Sophie was so hard to get.  She is our daughter just like any of you have and we feel and go through the same things, good and bad.  Please don't take this the wrong way but it has been an incredible few days but also extremely difficult and we need a few minutes to vent.

3 comments:

  1. I remember when I was pregnant with our second and an acquaintance lost their baby at birth, right before our due date....thinking "when she cries at night I will be SO GRATEFUL that she is here to cry!" ummm.....that lasted maybe a night?? The reality is no matter how much we long for them and adore them and love them it is hard and exhausting! Praying for the three of you and little j at home, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Oh my we had some rough rough nights with Nahla in the beginning and did i mention we still do and I feel guilty when I get angry just because i sooo want to sleep! It is exhausting and the bad sinus will not help with the sleeping part! Please say HI to Markos from us ( Dennis, maria and Nahla) He is just amazing isn;t he! I really loved him i have to tell you , he made our stay a very pleasant!! Thinking about you and hopefully tonight will be better!!!

    Maria ( home with Nahla almost 2 months)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there! It is hardest when you're in Ethiopia...coming home makes a difference, even just so you can eat your own food and be in your own house. I'm sure adopting a baby is challenging...we're home a month now with our now 5-year old and all I can say is that it gets better with every day that goes by.
    Anita

    ReplyDelete